Monday, September 22, 2008

Locked In


So, as you know, Taylor is going to preschool this year. She is in a co-op preschool (a preschool you do with other families and you each take turns teaching). Anyway, it was my turn to teach last week. Monday went pretty well so I was planning on Wednesday being the same. We started our day and things were going good. We had just had snacks and were having story time when one of the little girls let me know that she needed to use the bathroom. Being four, she could go by herself. So she goes and I continue to read. After a few minutes went by I heard her yelling " I can't get out" so I walked over to bathroom to find out that she had locked herself in. I know what your thinking, "well, just get a bobby pin and unlock it." But it wasn't that easy, it is a actual lock that you need a key for, so their is no picking it.

Anyway I keep trying to explain to this little girl how to unlock the door but she is just not getting it and finally she tells me she is to tired and just wants to take a nap. After about 45min to an hour of trying to keep her awake and playing with the door nob she gave up, stopped talking to me and went to sleep. Within this hour that she was lock in the bathroom I had called a few of the moms, the police department (I didn't get to talk to any of them), the lock smith (they said it would take about an hour before they could come),and Curtis to get some help.

To make a long story short, the fire department came... laughing, I'm sure, and broke the dumb door nob to get the little one out. So, all in all, it was a pretty productive day. I sent the kids home with blank worksheets to do at home and had to explain to the moms that their kids have been running around like wild animal planning for the majority of preschool. I'm sure they want to send their kids back next week.

5 comments:

Monica said...

That is a good story. I love that the little girl got tired and took a nap. I feel bad for you, what an ordeal. Glad it worked out ok and was not any worse. I am not sure if I have commented on your blog before. It has been fun to see how your family is doing.

holly said...

Em I love this story, it stinks, but it is kinda funny.

beccandjp said...

Em this is good!! Poor kid...but at least you are a clean freak so she had a nice clean floor to sleep on!!!

Unknown said...

I laughed, but I can relate. You must have been stressin'! I got your number from your dad last week, I'm flying to Vegas tomorrow afternoon, I'll give you a call. I can for sure find you to say hi (at the very least). :)

byrdfam said...

Hey Emily! I laughed until I almost cried when I read that story... I have it playing through my mind and I love it! Hope all is good for you guys and we can't wait to see you all!